When my daughter had a high fever this week, i thought it’s just a simple cough or cold but when these symptoms were not present, I know that this is different. Being a mother who cares too much for your children, your mind would usually had a pessimistic thoughts and then I waited for signs and after two days, small blisters like was visible in her body. By the look of it, i knew that it was different from measles because measles are red flat spotty rashes and she had already this when she was two years old.
Chicken pox is a highly contagious disease and in one way or another, most children will have them in their life and after the first exposure on this virus, our body builds immunity over this kind of disease and that’s what we called antibodies which kills the virus before it can affect us again. When I have learned that Peachy has chicken pox, my first thought is our 2 months old baby. Chicken pox is life threatening and i have heard that many dies with this kind of diseases although it can be prevented with the help of the vaccine but our little baby has no vaccine yet and that makes me worried much.
As per our pedia, the diagnosis of chicken pox or varicella is clinical which means there is a need for testing the blood or examination of the fluid from the rash. Although its appearance can be differentiate from measles. It is not really advisable to take over the counter medicines unless it was severe, what we need to treat is the high fever that accompany the sickness because it can lead to more problems. As a measure, you are required to stay at home to rest and to avoid spreading the virus to others. Our pedia also told us that cutting the nails into shorter one is also needed to prevent scratching and minimize further risks.
Chicken pox is a virus which is transmitted by air (from coughing or sneezing) or physical contact with a sick person and one or two days later a pimple like eruptions appear on the body they are filled with fluid and look like blisters, then they crust over leaving marks. Although if you have them in your childhood there is a great possibilities that the marks will eventually heal and it will not be permanent in your body.
The varicella vaccine was first developed by Michiaki Takahashi in 1974 , although even if you had this vaccine it is not necessarily that you will not have the disease (and one example is with Peachy’s recent case) although the good thing about it, your children will be saved from bigger problems and the blisters that they will have would be mild and only accompanied by low grade fever .
You can also take some herbal medicines to help ease the itchiness. Here are some example of home remedies i have gathered from the net.
- Mix 2 tbs. marigold flowers.
1 tsp. witch hazel leaves.
1 cup of water.
Let them sit over night. Apply on rash as needed it will relieve the itch of chicken pox.
- Drink lots of water to prevent dehydration. Also, drink fresh juices.
- When using ginger, it is best to slice it into small chunks and then boil in water, then drink the ale or you can put them in the water for bathing. It helps remove the itchiness.
- Application of sandalwood, vitamin E oil and honey is also effective method to treat chickenpox. Herbs for chickenpox healing are chamomile, basil and lemon balm which can be taken in the form of tea.
- Baking soda can also help to control the itching in chicken pox. Some baking soda should be put in a glass of water and the body should be sponged with this water, so that the soda dries on the skin. This will keep the child away from scratching the eruptions.
- The use of honey as an external application has also proved valuable in chicken pox. The skin should be smeared with honey. It will help in the healing of the disease within three days.
You can try one of this home remedy treatment. Another thing, well ventilated room is a must. This natural home remedies can help you when a family member was sick with chicken pox.
Prayers is still your best company. As of the moment, my two babies and hubby had it. I know this will be all over soon. My family will regain their health and no further problems will occur and hopefully I will not get sick.